Take Your Deli Sandwich to The Next Level: Three "Monster" Cold Sandwiches to Try
Does the word "sandwich" make you think "meh"? If so, then you've been eating the wrong sandwiches! A cold-cut deli sandwich should be more than a slice of cheese and meat between two slices of limp white bread. Head to your local deli, pick up the essentials for these three sandwiches, and get to stacking. You're about to experience what a sandwich truly should be.
A true Cuban sandwich is made with pork and ham, but this mock-Cuban sandwich is possibly even more flavorful with Genoa salami and ham. For one big sandwich, you need:
- 2 slices of thick, crusty bread, such as French bread
- 2 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
- 2 ounces thinly sliced Genoa salami
- 2 thick slices of Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 8–10 thin pickle slices
Spread the mustard onto both slices of bread. Layer the pickles onto one slice of bread and then stuff in the other ingredients before topping your creation with the second mustard-spread slice of bread. Enjoy!
Turkey and Cranberry
The stars of this sandwich are freshly sliced deli turkey (opt for the "roasted" variety if you have a choice) and a homemade cranberry chutney. Whole-wheat bread really gives this sandwich some bulk, making it a good choice when you're really hungry. You'll need:
- 2 slices of hearty wheat bread
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced deli turkey breast
- 2 thick slices of muenster cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh cranberries
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped walnuts
Place the cranberries, orange juice, sugar, and walnuts in a chopper. Chop these ingredients until they form a chunky, chutney-like spread. Spread this mixture onto one piece of your wheat bread, and then stack on your turkey and cheese before putting the second piece of bread on top.
Meat Lover's Delight
Why choose between turkey, ham, and roast beef when you can have all three? A homemade spread made with mayonnaise, relish, and horseradish really takes things to the next level. Plus, the recipe calls for two kinds of cheese. You'll need:
- 2 ounces thinly sliced, roasted deli turkey
- 2 ounces thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 2 ounces thinly sliced deli ham (honey ham works well here)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon horseradish spread
- 1 teaspoon green relish
- 1 thick slice cheddar cheese
- 1 thick slice Swiss cheese
- 1–2 leaves of green leaf lettuce
Combine the mayo, relish, and horseradish and stir to combine them into a uniform spread. Spread half of this mixture onto each slice of bread. Layer the lettuce, cheese, and meats onto the bread and enjoy.
Visit a deli such as Deer Park Deli today to jumpstart your new-found love of sandwiches.